The Department of Textiles Conservation treats a wide variety of natural and synthetic textiles and objects having textile components.
Conservation of textiles involves stabilization, cleaning, and repair, as well as proper storage and display practices. Services include:
- Surface, aqueous, and solvent cleaning
- Loss compensation
- Preservation framing, storage, and exhibit mounts
- Pest and mold eradication
- Preventive conservation consultations and collections surveys.
- Technical analysis of construction methods, fiber identification, and dye characterization
- Examination and documentation before and after treatment
Conservators are available for private workshops on collections care practices including object handling, storage, display, transportation, integrated pest management, and collections maintenance.